2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Italian sausage or home-made meatballs
- 1-2 spareribs (optional)
- leftover cooked chicken thigh or chicken leg (optional)
- pepperoni (optional)
1Combine tomato products in large stock pot or dutch oven.
2Add a 28 ounce can of water and stir.
3Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
4Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley and grated cheese and stir to combine.
5In a frying pan, heat about 1/4" of vegetable oil and fry up your sausage or meatballs until cooked through.
6Add the meat to the simmering sauce, along with any optional meats (recommended) mentioned in ingredients.
7Now, this is an important, not to be left out, step: Add chopped onions and garlic to pan that meat was fried in.
8Do not drain anything before adding onions and garlic-- there should be some drippings/oil left in the pan!
9Fry onions and garlic until tender and aromatic.
10Remove pan from heat.
11Another important step, not to be left out: Add about 1/2 cup water to the pan and swish around, combining the leftover drippings and onion and garlic.
12Pour and scrape it all into the simmering sauce.
13Stir to combine.
14Let simmer for 3 hours or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
15I keep mine only half way covered, so it cooks down and gets thick and rich.
16Remove pepperoni, chicken and ribs if used.
17Remove meat from bones of chicken and ribs and add back to sauce in small shreds.
18Discard pepperoni, eat it, or chop it up and add it back to sauce.
19Serve over your favorite pasta and enjoy.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8-10 slices white bread, broken into small 1/2 inch pieces (or you can use rolls or any stale bread you have and want to use up)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or Locatelli)
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
1Mix all ingredients gently in a large bowl until well combined.
2Roll meatballs 1 1/2- 1 3/4" in diameter.
3Heat about 1/4" of oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
4Fry meatballs in oil, rolling frequently, until evenly browned and juices run clear.
5Drop meatballs in your favorite sauce (I highly recommend My Mama Iuliucci's"Don't Skip a Step" Spaghetti Sauce recipe#26947) and let simmer for awhile to flavor sauce or just serve with your favorite pasta and sauce.
6Tip: You can also bake or broil these if the frying part is too much of a hassle-- I use my broiler pan if I bake them, so the fat drips down and away from the meatballs.